Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Roll Tide!

  1. #41
    Inactive Member VOL61's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2007
    Posts
    340
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    USC is still in on the big dog as well, Clowney. After SC beat Bama he said SC was the leader (after Bama was the leader for a while), but I think Bama still has a good shot at landing him because of the talent level overall and USC's epic letdowns.

    And Vol is right, the 05 class in Alabama was the best ever in the state. But Alabama always puts out good talent, but not the amout of elite talent that was in that class. Jerrell Harris, Julio, Dareus, Chapman, and one more I cant remember right off.

    UGA's uptick the last few weeks I believe will really hurt UT. I believe those two schools compete for the most recruits one on one, and UGA's winning streak keeps growing, and if they beat Florida this week its gonna be big.
    But that helps Alabama steal some of that Florida talent.
    UT does well in the Carolina's, but they have serious competition. Alabama pulled Fulton, Lattimore stayed in state, UT got Miller, etc..

    Who are the big ones UT is in on right now? Fundernburk just committed to Arkansas.
    Alabama is in on Clowney, Cyrus K., Crowell from the big list, and Clinton-Dix and Brent Calloway have given verbals.
    Gabe Wright would have to be the #1 target I would think. I know Tiny Richardson was up there as well as Mickey Johnson. But those two look like they are going to have trouble with grades. Arnett the WR from Michigan seems to be a target as well as Cam Clear as TE/OL that we have a pretty good shot with. Jay Rome is high on our list but I don't think we have a great shot there. I do think there are some name kids who we will be in it with that we as fans haven't really thought we would be by the end of the year. It is a long time till Feb.....
    "Players win games. Teams win championships."

  2. #42
    Inactive Member VOL61's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2007
    Posts
    340
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Is UT is on any of the big dogs in VA?

    Curtis Grant is by far the best, and the best LB in the nation IMO. I think he is every bit as good as the super-hyped Jeff Luc last year, probably better.

    I know Dominque Terrell is highly rated, so is Marvin Robinson.
    I heard Kiffin was all over him. I haven't heard as much with Dooley. I think we could be a factor with him as well as Lamar Dawson from Ky. But after the AJ Johnson commitment I haven't heard much about either.
    "Players win games. Teams win championships."

  3. #43
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Curtis Grant is by far the best, and the best LB in the nation IMO. I think he is every bit as good as the super-hyped Jeff Luc last year, probably better.
    He said about a month or so ago he was interested in UT and might visit. Who knows where that is now? He looks very good.

    I'm just intersted this year in gettin 28 players. Having at least 25-26 finish their eligibility at UT, getting at least 20 that can play and contribute, getting bigger, faster, stronger than what they've got in the JR and SR classes. They need bodies now more than anything. People *****ing about recruiting now are crazy imo. I keep hearing "you have to finish in the top 5 to win a national championship" is this meant as a joke? UT has 2 losing leasons in the last 5 years and is on verge of another one this year. How about being good enough to get to a bowl. Good enough to finish over .500. The #1 priority is just getting the roster back to a competitive level. Then you can worry about finishing #1-5 in recruiting vs. #15-20.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  4. #44
    Inactive Member VOL61's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2007
    Posts
    340
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    He said about a month or so ago he was interested in UT and might visit. Who knows where that is now? He looks very good.

    I'm just intersted this year in gettin 28 players. Having at least 25-26 finish their eligibility at UT, getting at least 20 that can play and contribute, getting bigger, faster, stronger than what they've got in the JR and SR classes. They need bodies now more than anything. People *****ing about recruiting now are crazy imo. I keep hearing "you have to finish in the top 5 to win a national championship" is this meant as a joke? UT has 2 losing leasons in the last 5 years and is on verge of another one this year. How about being good enough to get to a bowl. Good enough to finish over .500. The #1 priority is just getting the roster back to a competitive level. Then you can worry about finishing #1-5 in recruiting vs. #15-20.
    I agree... But honestly when you play the schedules we play. You still have to sign top kids to get to .500 or a bowl game for that matter. There isn't alot of room for mistakes in the next few classes. I think that is why the ratings may not be as high because we need kids that will make it in and stay. We also have to get linemen. They typically are not the highest rated by alot of recruiting services.
    "Players win games. Teams win championships."

  5. #45
    Inactive Member GC-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2009
    Posts
    207
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Is UT is on any of the big dogs in VA?

    Curtis Grant is by far the best, and the best LB in the nation IMO. I think he is every bit as good as the super-hyped Jeff Luc last year, probably better.

    I know Dominque Terrell is highly rated, so is Marvin Robinson.
    I'd be very surprised if Grant ended up anywhere except Florida. Word from VT gurus is that UF is number 1 with VT a VERY distant 2nd. Only hope is if he decides to stay close to home (hopefully Mom wins out).

    Terrell appears to be between VT and WVU.
    "They (Miami) told me I wasn't big enough to play running back,'' said Ryan Williams with a snicker. "And they tried to offer me as an athlete or wide receiver."

  6. #46
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    See, I had heard that Grant had really dropped off of Florida some, and that is was more open now than it had been before the season started and UF started to suck.

    I know he has been to Tuscaloosa and will (most likely) take an official down there, but I do not have my hopes up. I would put the percentage as about 10% or less that Bama gets him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung
    I'm just intersted this year in gettin 28 players. Having at least 25-26 finish their eligibility at UT, getting at least 20 that can play and contribute, getting bigger, faster, stronger than what they've got in the JR and SR classes. They need bodies now more than anything. People *****ing about recruiting now are crazy imo. I keep hearing "you have to finish in the top 5 to win a national championship" is this meant as a joke? UT has 2 losing leasons in the last 5 years and is on verge of another one this year. How about being good enough to get to a bowl. Good enough to finish over .500. The #1 priority is just getting the roster back to a competitive level. Then you can worry about finishing #1-5 in recruiting vs. #15-20.
    Yeah, you have to start with good solid classes that bring up overall depth and talent level. Its unreasable to expect a top 5 class with a second year coach and a program in rebuilding mode. Right now, its about getting solid contributors who can come in and play at the highest level. Once the program turns and gets on the right path to the top, then the big 5* and top 50 recruits will start showing up.

    UT has to focus on guys they can get, at this point they cannot put a waiver on a top guy and let the next four below him go somewhere else. The resources and time should be spent on players that UT has a real chance at getting. That does not mean totally disregard all highly rated players or not go after a guy that has tons offers, but dont put all the focus on top guys and get left in the cold with good, solid players who could play.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  7. #47
    Inactive Member GC-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2009
    Posts
    207
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    I had read he liked his trip to Bama but UF was still in the lead. But you never know. Saban can flat out recruit and I couldn't blame him if he went to UF or Bama. I've also heard that Stephone Anthony is cooling on UF also. But if you look at their young LB's and the commits they have, well, they are pretty stacked to say the least. And if UF loses another game or two it could cool off even more with Grant/Anthony.

    On another front, have you heard anything about Sims wanting to transfer from Bama?
    "They (Miami) told me I wasn't big enough to play running back,'' said Ryan Williams with a snicker. "And they tried to offer me as an athlete or wide receiver."

  8. #48
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Roll Tide!

    Quote Originally Posted by GC-1 View Post
    I had read he liked his trip to Bama but UF was still in the lead. But you never know. Saban can flat out recruit and I couldn't blame him if he went to UF or Bama. I've also heard that Stephone Anthony is cooling on UF also. But if you look at their young LB's and the commits they have, well, they are pretty stacked to say the least. And if UF loses another game or two it could cool off even more with Grant/Anthony.

    On another front, have you heard anything about Sims wanting to transfer from Bama?

    I have not heard that on a big scale. There has been rumors and rumblings about it, but I believe he will at least stay this year and try and win the starting QB job over McCarron next year.
    He may transfer if McCarron gets the starting job next year and he does not feel like he can ever jump him. I don't really blame him, but Alabama really needs his experience and depth in case something ever happened to McCarron. They would have to use a redshirt freshman as backup if Sims transferred.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •